Monday, November 17, 2008

Our viewpoint on Charity Add-ons

I just read a post about Charity Add-ons by Tim Berry over at Small Business Trends. It got me thinking about why we give 1% of sales to charity. Here's what I wrote about our donation program:

"

I own an online retail store that gives 1% of sales (that’s all incoming revenue, not just profit) to charity. We believe that giving 1% of profits isn’t enough because that number can so easily be manipulated.

We do this to potentially add value in the eyes of the customer and because we believe that success is meant to be shared. We attempt to engage our customer and charities by asking non profit nominations and allowing customers to guide our giving. (We’re actually accepting nominations now, if anyone wants to wander over to http://bayinghound.blogspot.com/2008/11/nominate-your-favorite-charity-for-1.html)

As a micro-business, supporting nonprofits through community leadership or volunteer hours is something I aspire to, but can’t do yet. I just don’t have the time, manpower, or physical resources to donate. As our business grows, I see potential for supporting charities in these ways.

Measuring the ROI of our charity donations is difficult, but I don’t necessarily need to know that number. I operate my business like I operate my life, which is to give back as much and as often as I can."

No comments: